Strawberry cream cake is a very popular dessert in Sweden and is a must for any summer holiday. Below you will find a recipe of the cake. Happy baking!
Swedish Strawberry Cream Cake
Tablespoon = T
Teaspoon = t
2 dl sugar
0,5 Tsp butter
1 tsp baking powder
1 dl wheat flour
1 dl potato flour
1,5 Tsp breadcrumbs
1 round baking pan with detachable edge, 24 cm in diameter.
0.5 vanilla pod
3 Tsp sugar
3 Tsp corn starch
3 egg yolks
4 dl milk
1,25 dl water
4 gelatin sheets
0.75 dl strawberry juice
1. Preheat the oven to 175 °. Grease and sprinkle with breadcrumbs the baking pan. Mix together wheat flour, potato flour and baking powder in a bowl. Beat eggs and sugar at least 5 minutes so that the mixture becomes really light and puffy. The sugar should be dissolved completely. Sift the flour mixture into the egg mixture and mix well. Pour into the pan and smooth out to an even layer. Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes.
2. Allow the cake to cool and divide it into half. Split horizontally into two layers with a long, thin knife.
3. Custard: Mix in a saucepan milk, sugar, cornstarch and egg yolks and vanilla bean cut lengthwise. If you use vanilla sugar, please don’t boil it. Instead mix it down when the custard has cooled. Cook over low heat while whipping continiously until you see the first boiling bubble. Pour quickly into a clean bowl and cool in a water bath. Remove the vanilla pod and scrape out the grains.
4. Cake: Mix finely cut strawberries and sugar. Spread a little vanilla custard on the lower layer of the cake and distribute the cut strawberries on top of the custard.
Put the top layer of the cake on it, spread a thin layer of custard and decorate the cake with the strawberries in the desired shape and pattern.
5. Whip the cream and cover the edges all around with an even layer. Fry the almonds chips in a pan without butter over low heat and cover the cake sides with them as soon as they cooled. Add the rest of the whipped cream into a piping bag and decorate the top of the cake.
6. Jelly: Soak the gelatin sheets in a bowl of cold water for 5 – 10 minutes. In another bowl mix the concentrated juice and 4/5 water. Remove the gelatin sheets and heat them along with the rest of the water on low heat in a saucepan or in a bowl in the microwave. Stir it gently into the juice mixture and let the mixture cool down for 10-15 min until it begins to set at the sides. The jelly is ready when it is similar to the consistency of raw egg white. Cover the strawberries with the jelly and put the cake cold for 1 hour prior to serving.
This is my favorite recipe of the cake from Sweden’s most popular food magazine Allt om Mat (All about food).